Weekend Coffee Share: Christmas Season Featured | Ms. Emily's Home for Full-Grown Nerds

Weekend Coffee Share: Christmas Eve

christmas-break

Welcome back to the Home for Full-Grown Nerds! I’m so glad you’ve joined me for some delicious dino-made coffee…and lots of chatting. 🙂

Weekend Coffee Share: Christmas Season | Ms. Emily's Home for Full-Grown Nerds

christmas-break

In an almost unheard of turn of events, I’ve actually had a very calm few days since Tuesday. Grace is out on break and spending Christmas with her mother (she’ll be back here for Christmas Round 2 on Wednesday), John has been on vacation all week, and almost all of the things that fill up our schedule are on hold until after the new year. John and I have been doing a lot of walking and goofing around…and we plan to keep that up for the next few days. We are experts at goofing around. 😀 Tomorrow, though it’s Christmas Day, will actually be pretty quiet around here. John and I will be pajama slugs allllll day. We will make a nod to the event with some fancy finger foods…which we’ll be making a dinner out of…because we’re like that. 🙂 As I’ve mentioned before, our actual Christmas celebration will be next week when Grace and her BFF are here. I’m soooooo looking forward to that.

What about you? If you’re a Christmas celebrator, what are your plans for today and tomorrow? If you’re not a Christmas celebrator, how do you spend the day?

christmas-break

I would tell you that I actually could have used more distractions since Wednesday morning. I won’t go into gory details, but I had the very sad experience of seeing a neighbor’s dog get hit by a car…and then sitting with the pup for the thirty minutes or so that it took for him to pass on. The neighbor wasn’t home when it happened…though people did show up soon after I called the poor fella.

The situation was really no one’s fault…it was just a sad, sad, awful accident. Way out here in the country, there are no leash laws, and it’s common practice to let dogs roam…especially the dogs that are responsible for protecting goat herds and things…which this one was. The person who hit the dog couldn’t have avoided it. We live just over a blind hill on a 55 mph road…there was no way the driver could have seen and avoided the pup. And no emergency vet visit in the world would have saved the pooch…especially since it takes longer than 30 minutes to get to the vet from out here.

If it had been my dog, I would have probably handled things differently, but it’s hard to make a call about the right thing to do with someone else’s animal. I do wish there was some sort of animal 911 equivalent…a clear and useful step to take in these situations.

Anyway, the whole incident has been weighing pretty heavily on me. I like to think that I provided some comfort to the dog, but who actually knows? I wish dogs understood roads and cars and human-created danger.

Needless to say, Frank has been getting even more snuggles and treats than usual, spoiled pup that he is.

christmas-break

But let’s talk about something that caused a little less ouch to the soul, shall we?

Let’s talk about blog plans…and the fact that I am again (just one more time, I promise) going to change everything.

I don’t know why I’m having such a hard time settling into a blogging situation that pleases me. Well, actually I guess I do. It’s this whole “niche” thing that is supposedly so important to blogging. My attempted adherence to the “niche” has led me down some paths that I don’t much care for….either skipping blogging about things that I enjoy or creating multiple blogs for the different facets of my enthusiasm. Well, I’m done with that.

Starting in 2017 (January 1!), I’ll be moving my blogs from WordPress.com to WordPress.org…yep, I’m going to do the self hosted thing. Not only that, I’ll be combining all of my interests into one magazine-style blog. I’ll just call it a lifestyle blog and be content with that “niche.” 😀 So, all of the science and math and home and organization and games and snacks and gratitude and all of it will be on one site….one site that’s only focus really will be the things I’m passionate about.

And that will be it for 2017. I’ve vowed to myself that no matter how things turn out with this new blog, I’m sticking with it until 2018. (Longer, obviously, if I love it.)

I’ll also be merging all of my social media accounts into one presence. One Pinterest account, one Facebook page, one Instagram account, one Twitter account, one Tumblr account…if I even keep the Twitter and Tumblr accounts at all. (I know, I know…most of you aren’t even aware of how many of these accounts and blogs I have. I’ll just let you know that it’s a ridiculous number and far to much to keep up with in any sane fashion.) 😉

2017 is going to be all about clean and simple…and spending less time with fidgety tinkering and frustration…and more time with interactions and relationships. Call it a resolution if you’d like. 😉

Edit: I forgot to mention that this whole new blog experience will be back under the name of Nerd in the Brain….because I miss Nerd in the Brain. 🙂

Do you have any exciting 2017 blog plans? I want to hear all about them!

christmas-break

For the first time in several forevers, I’m actually not getting ready to scoot off for a hike. Our beloved park is closed for Christmas Eve, so John and I did our walking at the gym yesterday instead. Nope, today I’m going to scoot in the name of making sausage balls. Yep, little delicious bits of instant bad health are in my future…because it’s Christmas Eve!

I hope you have an absolutely beautiful Christmas! And if you don’t celebrate Christmas, I hope you have an absolutely beautiful weekend. 😀

Until we chat again, have a week that is full to the top with love and hugs and gigglesnorts and adventure and contentment and peace!

Want to join us for a Weekend Coffee Share? Go check out Part-Time Monster’s blog…she’s a nice monster, I promise!

16 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share: Christmas Eve

1. trentpmcd says:

I’m very sorry about your neighbor’s pup and that you had to witness it 😦 I guess it is good for the pup that somebody was there with it at the end, about the only silver lining.

As far as blog’s go, in my opinion, whatever I decided to post fits. So, is totally and completely eclectic a “niche”? I’ll be looking forward to the return of “Nerd in the Brain”! I like “Ms. Emily’s Home for Full-Grown Nerds” – it has a Gothic feel to it, like “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” or something, but I’m with you, “Nerd in Brain” is better.

I hope you have a good time celebrating the solstice a full week after it occurred 😉 and wishing you a very merry low-key, changing-out-of-your-pajamas-optional Christmas!

Liked by 1 person

• fullgrownnerd says:

Yes, I’m declaring “totally and completely eclectic” a niche! 😀 (Do I even have the sort of power required to declare a niche???) 😉

I’m so glad that I’m not alone in preferring Nerd in the Brain. When I stepped away from it, I didn’t realize how much I would miss it. Perhaps I’ll appreciate it more now! 🙂

Hehehe about celebrating a week late…when living in a blended family, that “conventional calendar nonsense” has to sometimes get thrown to the wayside. 😀

Merry Christmas to you (again)!!!

Liked by 1 person

2. carolaadamsrnbc says:

What a terrible thing to witness with the dog being hit by a car! So glad you were there for him. I am sure your presence comforted him.

I’m excited about your new blog as I felt like I was missing pieces. The magazine style sounds awesome. I do enjoy reading about your nerdy life. 😀 Honestly I should really start up a blog. It has been on my mind a lot. Some of my FB posts should actually be blog posts.

As for Christmas, I will be joining a friend and her family for Christmas eve services at her church. And I will have chocolate covered peanut butter balls in hand. Then for Christmas, I was invited to another friend’s house for dinner with her and her family. And I will have chocolate covered peanut butter balls in hand. I have been under the weather and on antibiotics for bronchitis since Monday. The cough is lingering and I am attempting every home remedy to hopefully cut down on the number of coughing episodes. I think they are working….we will see what tonight brings.

Merry Christmas!

Liked by 1 person

• fullgrownnerd says:

I’d love it if you started a blog! I think it would be a great read!

Your Christmas plans sound fantastic…I hope you can get your cough under control. I find honey does a wonderful job for coughs. And I know some people swear by the Vik’s VapoRub on the bottoms of the feet. 🙂

3. eclecticalli says:

Hey, the eclectic approach has served me well in blogging — why lock yourself into one thing when we are such dynamic and varied creatures?
    Sending you so much love — being there to provide a loving presence and to help the dog pass from this world knowing that it is loved is such a powerful gift you were able to provide — take care of yourself now though — that is heavy and tough stuff to do.
    I’m looking at going self-hosted this year too — I just want to make sure to save up/budget what I need to pay for the whole year ahead of time.
    May 2017 bring beautiful things 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. bettylouise31 says:

Skrry about the dog. havet is never a good thing to happen. I keep any animal I care about protected fro all the dangers out there. Frnce for the dog or a leash. Kato is never knowingly allow to run free. Good luck with the changes to your blog. Relax while Grace is gone, I knoe you miss her. Have pleasant week.

Liked by 1 person

5. Corina says:

I think you did provide comfort to the doggie. I am glad you were able to do that.
    I think your blog plan is good. It will make it easier for everyone!

Merry Christmas. Enjoy your goofing around!

Liked by 1 person

6. Lauren Elizabeth Walsburg says:

I’m sorry to hear about your neighbour’s dog. I can’t imagine how awful that must have been to witness.

I completely understand what you mean with the “niche” and I to feel that I have way too many interests to ever fit into one category. I have not posted things I wanted to because they didn’t really fit into the theme of my blog. I even tried creating a blog for a separate interest, but I just don’t have the time to maintain multiple blogs, so that failed. I think I might have to take a page out of your book and become an eclectic blogger.

Have a wonderful Christmas. I look forward to seeing your new blog format in the new year.

Liked by 1 person

7. insearchofitall says:

Wow! I didn’t know we were supposed to have a niche. And I don’t know the difference between WP.com and .org. I know I pay for premium so I don’t have WP ads on my page. So much to learn, so much to learn. 🙂 If I had seen a dog hit by a car, they would likely be calling the ambulance for me and taking to dog too. It would hurt my heart so much. There should be a 911 for animals! You were so kind to be with that poor dog till the end. Life is so unkind sometimes. But then there is Christmas. Hope yours is wonderfilled.

Liked by 1 person

8. teachezwell says:

Wow. I am so sorry about the poor pup. And for you, although how wonderful for that pitiful babe that you were there. I miss Nerd in the Brain SO much and look forward to your newer new newest blog. At least you are blogging! I’ve been out of commission for what seems like an eternity. Hoping my immune system can catch a break soon.

Liked by 1 person

9. kaycreate says:

I’m so sorry to hear about the neighbor’s dog, that’s such a tough situation. But I think it’s wonderful that you were there for the pup; I personally believe that not being alone in that moment is a comfort, even for a dog.

I hope the leap to self-hosted is smooth sailing for you! Transfer’s can be a bit painstaking sometimes, but usually it’s easy peasy. 🙂 Not going to lie….I’m excited for Nerd in the Brain again! I’ve been reading your blog for so long with that name it’s hard to think of it as anything else!